Development and implementation of a smart and sustainable integrated forest fire management system in the cross-border area (DISSIWMS)
Cross-border Programme the Republic of North Macedonia – Republic of Albania under the Instrument of Pre-accession Assistance (IPA II) allocations for 2018 – 2020
- Protection and Rescue Directorate (PRD)
- Municipality of Struga
- Municipality of Librazhd
The Directorate for Protection and Rescue (DPR) and the Municipality of Struga in S. Macedonia and the General Directorate of Fire, the Protection and Rescue Service (GDPRS) and the municipality of Librazhd in Albania, will be the key actors in the project.
The cross-border area between N. Macedonia and Albania is prone to the fire disasters. Thus, to establish operating single set of adequate prevention and management system in pre-disaster and disaster time needs a crucial new approach in raising the security of designated environment and preserving it form hazards. The project’s objective to develop a joint smart and innovative management system for cross border environment protection, monitoring and early risk recognition and prevention from wildfires will be directed towards establishing clear and coherent interrelating by strengthen capacities of regional and local authorities in order to cope with the full range of competencies and reduce as much as possible the risk of damaging consequences from forest fires in the cross-border area. This will be achieved by mutual interweaving of specialized innovative technologies and common capacity building for prevention, mitigation and management of natural disasters, risks and hazards referring to establishment of a sustainable management of protected areas, forest ecosystems and biodiversity with the benefit of the population.
The state of firefighting concept remines modest and obsolete in both countries (N. Macedonia and Albania). The lessons learned show that the absence of capacity building and technical facilities (e.g., fire protection, early warning, IT-based warning and command systems, local crisis management and/or command posts for coordination with state level structures, simulation facilities for training purposes) are the main weaknesses. Without fire management system appropriate to the present needs, new trends and innovative technologies, the public information campaigns remain the only means of fire prevention. Disasters, i.e., wildfires largely contribute to increasing negative macroeconomic impacts and pose a threat to economic growth. With supporting measures implemented, the fires’ hazardous impact would limit and decrease potential financial, fiscal, economic and human losses.
Overall objective the project: To develop joint smart and innovative management system for cross-border environmental protection, monitoring and early risk recognition and prevention from wildfire Specific objective:
- To cope wildfire disasters by implementing efficient and effective crisis management system.
- To utilize best practice by implementation of innovative solutions and involvement of citizens, civil society organizations and other stakeholders in local/national problem solving.
- To prevent harmful consequences of wildfires on environment and human life.
- To improve multi-level coordination and communication in wildfire suppression
- To strengthen capacities of territorial firefighting units
- To achieve better preparedness of available assets and to share facilities on disposal in joint risk management activities.
- To raise awareness of local communities on importance of responsible behavior towards nature
- To upgrade local skills in combating extreme wildfires disasters by applying innovative and advanced IC Technologies, models and solutions for early detection, monitoring, targeting and suppression of wildfires and mitigation of their impact in the cross-border area.
This will be achieved by mutual interweaving of specialized innovative technologies and common capacity building for prevention, mitigation and management of natural disasters, risks and hazards.
- Local population
- Local communities for collection of non-timber forest products (NTFP)
- Public authorities and development agencies dealing with environmental management,
- Civil Society Organization, Voluntary Firefighting associations, Young scout associations, Speleological
Overall Objective: Develop a joint smart and innovative management system for cross border environment protection, monitoring and early risk recognition and prevention from wildfires will be.
Specific Objective: The specific objectives are fitted to jointly implement the innovative means, technologies and methods,or-made to intercept and suppress frequent and extreme wildfires, such as better and more advanced stems, techniques, models, solutions and capabilities for early detection, monitoring, targeting and suppression of wildfires.